- Understand a variety of tools and materials and are skilled at using tools in basic chemistry laboratories.
- Understand the character and properties of the chemicals used in Basic Chemistry Practicum I.
- Able to carry out practicum based on experimental procedures in accordance with the basics of chemistry in Basic Chemistry learning I.
- Able to analyze and discuss data from practicum results and present them.
- Able to write correct scientific papers based on the guidelines for writing scientific papers (PPKI) of UM, through writing practicum reports.
- Understanding the types of equipments and material and skilled to use the equipments in chemistry laboratory.
- Understandeing the characteristic and properties of chemicals wich is used in Basic Chemistry I Laboratory.
- Able to do the practical work based on experiment procedures related to the content of General Chemistry I course.
- Able to analyze and discuss the data of practical work result results and present it.
- Able to write the right scientific paper according to PPKI UM through laboratory report.
Study Materials /Subject Matters
Introduction to Tools and Materials, Work Safety in Basic Chemistry Laboratories, Skills in Using Tools, Making Solutions, Changing Materials, Separation of Mixtures Based on Different Physical Properties of Composing Components, Periodic Properties, Lewis Structure and Molecular Models, Molecular Models of Organic Compounds, Determination of Molar Volume of Hydrogen Gas , and Determination of the Empirical Formula for CaCO3./Display the equipments and material; safety management in Basic Chemistry laboratory, skill to use the types of simple apparatus; making solution; changes of matter; Separation of mixture base on physical properties; periodicity elements; Lewis structure and molecular model; Molecular model of organic compounds; Determination of molar volume of hydrogen gas; and Determination of CaCO3 molecular formula.
After studying the materials for the Basic Chemistry Practicum I study through literature studies, a series of practicum activities (journal making /log book, pretest, practicum, and report preparation), responsiveness in the form of presentations and discussions, as well as writing papers, students are able to make plans to make practicum reports with topics included in Basic Chemistry I study materials. In addition, students can also understand the concept of material in Basic Chemistry I better ./Have been studied the Subject Matters of Basic Chemistry Laboratory I by leterature study, practical activity (log book preparation, pretest, practical, and write the report), presentation, discussion, and write the paper, students are able to make planning until reporting the practice of basic chemistry I. In addition, students are able to get the better comprehension of the concept of Basic Chemistry I.
- Brady, JE & Humiston, GE 1990. General Chemistry. 4th Ed. New York: John Willey & Sons Corp.
- Brescia, Frank et. Al. 1990. Fundamental of Chemistry Laboratory Students. 4th Ed. New York: Academis Press.
- Brown, TL, LeMay, HE, and Bursten, BE. 2000. Chemistry is Central Science. 8th Ed. New Jersey: Prentice Hall International Corp.
- Frantz, HW and Malm, LE 1968. Essential of Chemistry in the Laboratory. San Francisco: WH. Fremann and Company
- Maryami, T., et al. 2013. Basic Chemistry Practicum Guidelines II. Malang: Department of Chemistry, FMIPA UM.
- Vogel, AI 1971. A Text Book of Pracktical Organic Chemistry. 4th Ed. London: Longman Group Limited.